Little things we do during the day can make our community stronger and can inspire others to pay those kindnesses forward.
Download the Random Acts of Civility calendar or make up your own Random Acts of Civility*, then share your Acts and be a part of our year of kindness in Howard County!
- Email a short description or a photo of your Random Acts of Civility to [email protected].
- Use #choose2Bkind to capture them on social media.
At the end of the year, we’ll compile submissions into an eBook.
*Need ideas? Here’s a few:
- Use social media to send a compliment to three people right now.
- Write a thank you note to a teacher who made a difference in your life.
- Create a playlist on Spotify for a friend to let them know you are thinking of them.
- Give someone a hug, just because!
- Hide a note with a positive message inside the next library book you return so that the next person who checks it out will find it!
- Hold the door for someone.
- Have a garden? Share some veggies or flowers with a neighbor.
- Purchase some supplies from an animal rescue organization’s wish list and drop them off on your way home from the store.
- Organize a clean up party at a local park, pond or river area.
- Help a neighbor take out the trash, mow their lawn, or shovel their walk.
- Do the dishes, vacuum or dust even if it’s not your turn to do that chore.
- Make a batch of cookies or muffins and deliver them to your local police station or firehouse.
- Cook a meal or do a load of laundry for a friend who is going through a difficult time.
- Let the person who seems rushed cut in front of you.
- Pay the toll for the car behind you.
- Keep an extra umbrella at work or school and let someone borrow it on a rainy day.
- Send a care package to a service member.
- Leave some extra quarters in the laundromat.
- Bring a welcome gift to new neighbors.
- Give someone a copy of a book you think they would like.
- Write positive messages on sticky notes and leave them on the mirrors in public restrooms.
- Put encouraging notes under the windshield wipers of parked cars.
- Offer change when the person in front of you at the register comes up short.
- See someone you know being civil? Sign up for KIND Snacks’ #KINDAwesome Program, where you can send a snack to those you spot doing a Random Act of Civility. Visit howkindofyou.com/popcorn for details.
- Search for volunteer opportunities through the Volunteer Center Serving Howard County.