Design a poster or create a video illustrating the theme of how kindness creates community. Use your imagination, creativity, and artistic talent to show others how the little things we do everyday can make our community stronger and inspire others.
Start by asking yourself a few questions:
- How can you be kind to others?
- How has someone been kind to you?
- What does it mean to be kind or part of a community?
Talk to your art teacher or media specialist for some ideas, then design a poster or create a video. #Choose2BKind
- Groups or individual students in grades K-12 who live or attend school in Howard County
- Students who attend home school or a school without grade levels should enter the comparable grade level.
- Entries accepted March 1 – March 25, 2018
- At the Columbia Art Center:
- EXHIBIT: April 4 – 25, 2018
- RECEPTION and AWARDS CEREMONY: April 25 from 5 to 6:30 pm
- Poster category:
- $50 Target gift card awarded to Grand Prize winner. Poster reproduced for countywide distribution, included in Choose Civility eBook, and reproduced as postcard
- $25 Target gift card awarded to winner in each category: K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12, Group. Poster included in Choose Civility eBook and reproduced as postcard
- Video category:
- $50 Target gift card awarded to Grand Prize winner and video posted to Choose Civility YouTube channel
- $25 Target gift card awarded to winner in each category: K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12, Group, Community Favorite Award
- Size: 11” x 14” (horizontal or vertical)
- Do not sign or initial your entry
- Media: Marker, colored pencil, paint, computer, photography, or mixed media; technology such as augmented reality welcome
- Original art created solely by the contestant—no adult contributions or copyrighted characters
- If you include words, check for correct spelling and keep text away from the borders.
- When using marking pens, avoid fluorescent or neon colors. For crayons and colored pencils, make sure the colors are filled in and solid.
- Maximum length: two minutes
- Must be an original creation by an individual or group of individuals. No copyrighted music, video, or images may be used without appropriate citations. If copyrighted music, videos, or images are used without citations, the video will be disqualified.
- Visit Free Music Archive (freemusicarchive.org) for music sources. Most can be used free of charge if appropriate citation is given. Each song will give an explanation as to how it can be used.
- The video should close with a visual mention of Choose Civility.
- Save and submit as one of the following file types: .mov, .mpeg, or .avi.
- If the person(s) in the video are under 18 years of age at the time of entry, the contestant(s) must have permission from parent(s) / guardian(s), and an adult must review and submit the entry.
- Adherence to theme
- Originality, creativity, and reproducibility (all entries must be clear and reproducible)
- Effective use of media
- Each poster submission should include the student’s name, address, email address, phone number, school, and grade level on the reverse side of the artwork.
- Videos should be submitted on a flash drive labeled with the student’s name, address, email address, phone number, school, and grade level.
- All entries must be submitted to Monica Herber at the Columbia Association Art Center, 6100 Foreland Garth, Columbia, MD 21045. Entries can be dropped off or mailed.
- Questions? Call 410.730.0075 or email [email protected]
Presented in partnership with the Columbia Association Art Center, Howard County Library System, and Howard County Public School System